- 1 cup Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1.5 tablespoon Sooji (Semolina)
- 1/2 teaspoon Citric acid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Ginger and green chilies paste (optional)
- 1 pinch Hing (optional)
- 3 1/2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Almost 1 cup water
- 1.5 tsp Eno (fruit salt) – added at the end
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 jalapenos cut into circles
- 1.2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp confectioners sugar
- Mix all ingredients mentioned above under ‘Main ingredients’ except the fruit salt Eno.
In a big pot fill water and lay a strainer at the bottom. Grease a pan in which khaman will be steamed.
- Now add Eno to the mix and gently mix it with a spoon. Please remember to not overmix it.
Pour batter into that greased pan and place it inside the vessel.
Cover it with a lid and steam khaman for about 15- 20 minutes.
- After 20 mins insert a toothpick. It should come out clean. Allow it to cool down for 10 mins.
- With the help of a knife loosen up khaman and flip it over to a plate.
- Cut it into square pieces
- On low heat, put oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, jalapenos and red chili powder(optional)
- When the curry leaves become crisp, add about half cup water and 1 tbsp sugar
- Pour this water into the cut pieces of dhokla and serve with green chutney 🙂
Credit: My recipe is inspired by http://www.ruchiskitchen.com/recipe/instant-khaman-dhokla/
She has picture by picture steps as well which are easy to follow.